Several years ago, I'd been given a copy of The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith. I found it unforgivably dull, so when friends started raving about Smith's No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, I was skeptical.Just this month however, I was in need of light reads for jury service, and a friend offered her well-thumbed copy of The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It didn't take me long to be enchanted with McCall Smith's charming prose, and with the wonderful, traditionally-built Precious Ramotswe. I was pleased that I had to spend the whole first day in the jury assembly room, as it gave me the opportunity to read all but the last chapters of the book. Since then, I've read 6 of the 9 books in the series, and I'm itching to get my hands on the rest (as well as the TV adaptation- watch the trailer!).
Mma Ramotswe decides to use the money her beloved Daddy has left her to start Botswana's one and only detective agency run by a women. Assisted by her secretary, Mma Makutsi, Mma Ramotswe uses her good sense, intuition and wit to solve her clients' woes, drinking plenty of bush tea (rooibos) along the way - my kind of heroine!
McCall Smith, a Zimbabwean, portrays Southern Africa wonderfully. The books are well-written, light and engaging, but don't shy away from issues like AIDS or witchcraft.
I'd highly recommend the series to...
* anyone who enjoys well-written light tales.
* anyone looking for a engaging, humorous introduction to Southern African culture.
* anyone who is fond of clever, traditionally-built ladies.


4 comments:
this post caught my attention very quickly... my sister Monika loves these stories, usually getting them from the library on audio tape and listening to them in the car, etc.
I'd never heard of them before then, but now you too are a follower! haha, nice to know people I love have similar good taste!
btw, well done on the set-up for the photo!
:) thank you!
i just added a link to the trailer for the tv adaptation, which looks wonderful...
jess, do read them - i know you'd enjoy them!
i only met monika briefly, but i sensed she was a kindred spirit! :)
Post a Comment