I do. Really. So much so that I have no words to describe the deep, abiding love I harbour for this laudable vegetable. Behold it's glorious colour, it's aesthetically pleasing shape - like a portly, dimpled glob of sunshine. Even the the word 'pumpkin' is so much fun to say. Listen here you, I'm not crazy. Promise...
So, it is that time of year again. The leaves have slipped into yellows and browns. The chill in the air makes it necessary to put on snuggly coats and scarves and gloves when going outdoors. My beloved pumpkins are in season, and I ponder whether to make pie or muffin or both. Small children in absurd garb are legally allowed to hassle complete strangers for sweets.It's the time of year when I bemoan and marvel (not at the same time, obviously) the passing of time. When I consider the year that I've just had, and my hopes for the one around the corner...
Anyways, every year I threaten to write an ode to pumpkins, but never do. Happily, I've discovered that others have...
Pumpkin Gratitude
by O Anna Niemus
Thank You, Loving Divinity
that You did not make pumpkins
to grow on trees
Pumpkin Pie
by Gary Revel
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie
The chanting was getting louder
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Now in screams
At a feverish rhythm and pitch
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie
They were coming with knives drawn
Pumpkin could not
Defend himself
Against them
Now he's somebody's dessert
P.S. When I said I had no words to describe my love for pumpkins. I was clearly lying. :)
Friday, October 31, 2008
i heart pumpkins
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I like pumpkins - a lot and like you said the sight (and smell) evokes a sense of warmth. Oooh.... pumpkins pies and muffins ... yum yum! I like them baked or roasted or sauteed... Only thing is they are all so big - care to share one with me... :-)
annie, my dear, there is no such thing as too much pumpkin! and no i won't share! all mine! :)
Post a Comment