Friday, September 01, 2006

SHEELA'S NEWS September 2006

Dear friends and family,

September is upon us, and here I am, still in the UK. What’s going on? Well, that’s a question I’ve been asking quite a bit recently… This time of uncertainty has been a challenge, but rather perversely also a blessing!

God is most intent on giving us himself, not giving us things. At the end of the book of Job, he doesn't get his things back. Job gets God back. It's a whole reorientation in our relationship with God to see him not as a provider who gives us things, but to see him as intent on giving himself to us.
- Michael Card

Since last writing, I was told by the church that I had been attending that they were unable to be my sending church as I had not been a part of them for very long. Whilst I could understand their reasons, it was a huge disappointment. The OM UK office informed me that I could not join OM unless I had a home church behind me. Some friends, having shared my situation with their pastor and missions coordinator, invited me to their church, Cornerstone Christian Centre. I went along and loved it – such joy and warmth. Within three weeks of attending, I approached the pastor and asked if I could consider CCC as my sending church. To my amazement, he said yes! I’m still in shock!

Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations;
I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalm 46:10
After prayer and discussion with Rose Hack, the coordinator of AIDSLink, we agreed that I would not join her until January 2007. This way, I have the opportunity to build relationships at my new church, as well as continue to raise financial support for when I do join AIDSLink in South Africa. There will be a HIV/AIDS training conference in Cape Town in January that I hope to attend, which will kick-off my two years in South Africa with AIDSLink.
Another reason to delay departure has been finances. People serving with OM are required to raise their own financial support, and I need to raise £650 per month. This includes the cost of accommodation, food, travel, training etc. Thirty percent of that figure has already been pledged.

I’ve also had a few health challenges. After struggling with low energy levels for almost a year, I finally (!) went to see my doctor. Blood tests revealed that I am anaemic and have a hormonal imbalance, both of which are contributing to the feelings of fatigue. Extending my time in the UK means that we can experiment (!!!) with solutions.

In the meantime, I will be joining Rose when she travels to Trinidad & Tobago from the 4th until the 18th of September. The OM ship Logos II will be there at the time, so Rose will be doing HIV/AIDS workshops onboard as well as onshore.
AIDSLINK in Trinidad & Tobago
Sept 4 - Arrival in Port of Spain, Trinidad
Sept 6 - Devotions, Logos II, T&T
Sept 7 am - Devotions, Logos II
Sept 7 pm - Prayer Night, Logos II
Sept 11 - On-shore Workshops, Tobago
Sept 12 am - Workshops/Youth Event, Tobago
Sept 12 pm - Evening Session, Logos II
Sept 13 - Evening Session, Logos II
Sept 14 - Prayer Emphasis Day: Full Day Workshop, Logos II
Sept 15 - On-Shore Workshops, Trinidad
Sept 16 - On-Shore Workshops
Sept 18 - Return to UK
While I will mainly continue as one of George Verwer’s secretaries until January, I hope to be able to do bits of work for AIDSLink as well. Recently, I was able to transcribe a booklet called ‘Ten Great Reasons Why You Should Say No To Sex Before Marriage’ so that it can be republished and made widely available in southern Africa. This booklet is aimed at teens and young adults, a key target-audience as it is estimated that 6,000 young people (aged 15 to 24) become HIV positive a day.
Please Pray:

For discernment to know God’s will for this time, and that I may remain faithful and not discouraged in the midst of uncertainty.

Please pray for strength, good health and wisdom to do the work has God provided.

For support partners – both in terms of prayer and finance. The way God has provided so far has been really encouraging, but there still is quite a way to go before I can join OM in January.

For the time in the Caribbean:
* A good relationship with Rose Hack
* Boldness
* The Holy Spirit to work in hearts and minds of those who attend the workshops
* Safety as we travel

Praise God with me for his provision so far.
* The new sending church – what a miracle! Please pray for good relationships to be built there.
* God’s provision of my material needs.
* The prayer and financial support I have already received.
* The amazing encouragement, love, and emotional support YOU have shown me through your emails, phone calls, letters and prayers - THANK YOU!! I praise God for you!

Love,
Sheela

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails