Thursday, August 19, 2010

{the reading group} SLI Week 8

blackberries

Chapters 14, 15 & 16 this week, ladies. Press on, especially those of you taking this at your own pace - it's worth it. Feel free to note down your thoughts on the relevant posts even if you are several weeks behind. It is always good to hear a different perspective.

Beth asks...

1) As you surely noticed, Chapter 14 is more of a testimony than a teaching but it concludes with a charge to deal with our female insecurities for the sake of young girls coming up behind us. Annabeth was my big inspiration for the journey. Briefly describe someone who is worth doing what it takes to you to live abundantly and effectively in Christ. Help us picture her so that she inspires us, too. Needless to say, don’t share more than she’d want you to.

2) I wish we could discuss all of Chapter 15 in person but this is the next best thing. Name a couple of ways pertinent to your sphere of life and influence that you could look out for your own gender in our battle with insecurities. In other words, how can you (not others but you in particular) start becoming part of the solution in your female relationships rather than default into part of the problem. No condemnation here. Goodness knows, we’ve all been both. Our challenge is to learn to be deliberate. How are you prepared to do that?

3) Based on Chapter 16 and the challenge to look past ourselves, what is your passion? If you don’t have one presently, don’t feel pressured or unnerved. You might be too deep in toddlers or school work to think past the urgent. Those things are priority and need to be your passion right now. If, however, you long for something that makes you feel fully alive and part of something specific God is doing for the greater good, ask Him to nurture that vision in you. It will be ultimately be the key to life on the outskirts of self-absorption. Keep in mind, your passion may not be anything you’re currently engaged in. Maybe you don’t have the opportunity to participate right now. Maybe it’s just in dream-form. Or maybe it’s just a place God has tendered your heart. Try to give it a name. What is something outside of yourself that you feel passionate about?

* Wondering what on earth is going on? Click here.
*
Catch up on the conversation so far here. Or follow the original LPM discussion here.

3 comments:

Sheela said...

1) Well, maybe my own daughter one day, but for the time-being the two little girls that I spend a lot of time with. Their family has known quite a bit of upheaval and the older girl esp. has a sensitive temperament that already has a tendency towards insecurity.

2)If I were to stop comparing, stop the bad math, just ease up and enjoy being who I am, I suspect this could be help. It's easier, after all, to be yourself when you're in the midst of others who are at peace with themselves. I want to be/create that safe place.

3) Oooh, where to begin? Sometimes I feel a little crazy because the passions I have (and there are several!) are not very 'sensible' and I'm not quite sure how they'll play out in reality. I have to confess that because of this, I've kept them close to heart and not really acted upon any of them. I guess the first step is to continually place these things on the altar and wait for God to prompt... My passions: photography, writing, baking (yes, this can be a ministry!!), mentoring/discipleship. There are one or two others that I can't quite put into words.

rach said...

1. The youths and young in my church. As of now, this particular youth who is 3 years younger than me. She has sidetracked a considerable lot and made the ways of the world her first choice. Her choices have opened my eyes and hopefully mine- of an abundant and effective life in Christ- will open hers to the truth.

2. Be an example through my actions, decisions and words; to “show off” the true treasures of strength and dignity.

3. Sharing, listening and witnessing. Just to lend a hand and be a source of encouragement. Also sports, cooking/ baking- anything to do with an oven, photography and I guess writing. I am majoring in it after all.
(looks like its almost the same as yours!)

Sheela said...

:) Shared visions are a good basis for friendship, me thinks...

Related Posts with Thumbnails