Thursday, August 05, 2010

{the reading group} SLI Week 6

rose2

It's been a very busy week, so I've only just gotten around to posting my essay {ahem} I mean comment for last week's exercise, though I did the chapter back on Sunday. As Beth says, Chapter 9 is pivotal, so I hope everyone who has a copy of the book gets a chance to do it. Oh, so good!

Anyways, on to week 6! This week, we read chapters 10 & 11. Beth asks...

1. Based on Chapter 10, in all truthfulness, has your historical tendency been to view men (generally speaking) as gods? Or devils?

2. Based on Chapter 10 and your own day-to-day observances, what differences do you see between men’s insecurities and women’s?

3. On p.208 in Chapter 11, I suggest that women who struggle with insecurity tend to be particularly taken with 2 divine attributes: omnipotence and omniscience. Did either of these resonate with you? If so, how?

* Wondering what on earth is going on? Click here.
*
Catch up on the conversation so far here. Or follow the original LPM discussion here.

2 comments:

rach said...

1. The scale tips on the devils side.

2. Men and their pride. So like what Beth observed from her survey- failure. Women and acceptance.

3. Omnipotence. I guess it comes with having ideals and when something doesn’t match, I want to fix it- and make it right in my eyes, or just give up completely. Omniscience. This particularly spoke to me. I usually reason with myself with 'so I can be more effective at helping him/her' whenever I have a want to know- more than I should. I learned to say “I know enough. I need to stop here” in a somewhat painful way 2 years ago. This chapter was a good reminder for me to have “a healthy pursuit of knowledge”.

Sheela said...

1. I vacillate from one to the other, but I think perhaps 'gods' might be the dubious frontrunner.

2. A key difference is their response. Regardless of what triggers the insecurity, men generally withdraw to lick their wounds, while women tend to become clingy and needy.

3. Omniscience. I've fixated on what I don't know, 'seeking knowledge in the dark rather than knowledge in the light...[and] "became darkened in [my] understanding" instead of enlightened'.

Related Posts with Thumbnails