
Mrs Noah (Illustration by Joel Spector, 2005)
The Unknown Soldier: Mrs Noah
'The Bible tells us next to nothing about Mrs Noah, so she provides the perfect test case for us to see how Eve's legacy applies to a real woman's life. By viewing Mrs Noah as God's image bearer, the ezer, and an active member of the Blessed Alliance, we will learn to see ourselves in the same way '.
Read: Genesis 6:11-22; 7:7-13; 8:14-18
Something to chew on...
1) Describe a situation where you felt lost in someone else's shadow.
2) How did Mrs Noah get lost?
3) How did her twin callings as God's image bearer and ezer define her mission in the crisis that was unfolding? What opportunities did she and Noah have to forge and serve God as a Blessed Alliance?
4) Describe the reasons Mrs Noah had to fear and dread the future. What situations are you facing now that, like Mrs Noah's uncertain future, fills your heart with fear and dread?
5) What did Mrs Noah already know about God that offered her hope no matter what lay ahead? What difference does it make to put the frame of God's character around your situation?
Can't remember how to take part? Here's a reminder.
Catch up on the conversation so far here.


5 comments:
Oh dear. I was worried this might happen... Nobody's come to play... The combination of Easter and possibly the least inspiring chapter of the book proved to be too much. :) Oh well, I shall sally forth!
I didn't love this chapter, but let's not dwell on the negatives... What I did find helpful was the reminder that God's purposes apply equally to those shining in the spotlight and those hidden the shadows.
It was a reminder to stand strong in the midst of a disheartening present, for the future may bring vindication.
‘God never retires his ezers. He may change our location and circumstances, but he always has crucial work for us to do’. I find this statement challenging. Firstly, how do we know that we didn’t change our circumstances and take ourselves out of the situation God wanted us to be in? And secondly, it is sometimes such a struggle to find the work that God has for us to do that like Mrs Noah might have felt, I have sometimes felt like there was nothing available that would/could use the gifts and skills I have.....
Don't worry Sheela, I haven't abandoned you or the book group! I'm just being very slow formulating any response thanks to too much chocolate!! Also, I'm afraid I did find this chapter rather uninspiring with the emphasis on her being a "Mrs"!
However, I could identify with Mrs Noah's "lostness" because she did not have an obvious role to do and liked the idea that we can be used by God whatever our circumstances, whether we are in the spotlight or the shadows. As Keshy mentions, God never retires an ezer and we all have a place in His purposes. I've always assumed that He still has a purpose for us whatever circumstance we choose be in.
I'm guessing knowing whether we are still in the circumstance God wants us to be in or what His purpose is depends on how well we can hear God's voice and that's something I struggle with on a daily basis.
In the meantime, back to the chocolate ...
Hi Ladies! Sorry, getting ready to go on the trip, so I've been neglecting the book group myself! Helen, I found the 'Mrs' focus a little irritating too.
Keshy, I hear you! It's easy to feel useless when the circumstance doesn't quite fit my idea of where I think I should be. At the same time, I strongly believe that God can use us no matter the circumstance - even if, as you suggest, we got to that place through rebellion. (cf Isaiah 30:15).
Following on from Keshy's point, I find it a little difficult to know sometimes whether I've gotten into a place of 'lostness', wilderness, whatever you want to call it, through my own rebellion or whether God has allowed it for character refinement etc. Does that make sense? Can anyone relate?
BTW, I've barely had any chocolate this Easter. I'd be all smug about it if I didn't feel so deprived...
I thought that the take on Mrs. Noah was interesting - besides the fact that there is hardly anything mentioned about her in the Bible. I guess one can only speculate or wonder what it was like for her to be married to Noah and what kind of a person she was. I was warned not to speculate too much or "wander too far". But anyway, I thought that many women today could probably relate to her more than to any of the prominent women personalities in the Scripture - she was "hidden in the shadows", maybe someone who will not command a lot of attention and go unnoticed in a crowd. I am sure that she played a major role in the lives of Noah, their sons and their daughters-in-law. Reading the chapter made think and I tried to imagine what it would have been like to be in her shoes - married to a character like Noah and being put in a situation that you did not choose to be in, what was it like to have your family mocked and rejected because you were building an ark or doing what you believed in; did she have the same faith like Noah, did she ever question him or God, did she feel trapped (metaphorically and literally)? Did she nag or complain or did she get on with the program? Was she a fearful woman or a woman who even in her own challenging circumstances minister and encourage others?
Post a Comment