
I'm guessing you aren't particularly impressed by this week's topic. I must admit I was slightly crestfallen when I heard that this was what a friend was bringing over for dessert the other day.
All misgivings evaporated at the first bite. Plummy goodness in a citrusy, port syrup. Her recipe, which I entrust to you...
HELEN'S PORTLY PRUNES
(She didn't actually call it that. I believe the technical term is 'stewed prunes', which sets off my gagging reflex...)
1) Soak 500g of ready-to-eat prunes in the juice and zest of 1 orange, 2 teaspoons of sugar and some water for 2 hours or more. The mixture should just cover the prunes.
2) Simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes.
3) Remove from heat, and add about 50ml (more or less, depending on taste) of port into mixture. Leave to cool.
She recommends serving this with ginger ice cream, but I have yet to find a dairy-free ginger ice cream, so vanilla with a sprinkling of finely chopped candied ginger will do.
These old-fashioned desserts are making a comeback, and deservedly so. The New York Times featured poached dried fruit as its Recipe of the Day a few days ago. Plus, this is magnificent (not to mention healthy) comfort food for these chilly January/February days.
Don't knock it till you've tried it...


No comments:
Post a Comment