Monday, October 20, 2008

oh, so tired...


a cat's nap is never done, originally uploaded by Grant MacDonald.

It's Monday - watch me contain my excitement...

So, I was released from jury service at the end of last week. The second trial was infuriating, but I won't bore you with that. All in all, I'm really glad I had the chance to have that experience, but I'm surprised at how tired it has left me.

Nevertheless, there was so much to do around the house, and the garden looked like the scene of some sort of natural disaster. Autumn, despite its tremendous beauty, is such a messy month. With my mother returning next week, I felt obliged to do something about it. So armed with a garden broom and a rake, I set about to rectify the situation. Several hours later, the garden looked marginally tidier. Aching, I turned my attentions to the house.

The next morning, I went outside to survey my handiwork. To my horror and disgust, there were leaves everywhere again. Nature is conspiring against me. I paused to dramatically shake a clenched fist at the elements, before heading back inside for there was much to be done - my friends Helen and B were coming to spend the day - hip hip hurrah!

An apple tart was baked, chicken was cooked, bread was purchased, and a salad (involving nasturtium petals) was thrown together just in time before B arrived. We met up with Helen at the station and walked down to the gorgeous Dulwich park, resplendent with autumn colours. Long story short - much walking, much talking, and upon returning home, much eating, and finally, much collapsing in full and sleepy heaps. So, a very pleasant day...

Anyways, today I'm back in the office, trying to stay awake and focused, and trying not to think of how comfy my duvet is....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, sounds like you had fun. Nasturtium (what?) - sound like weeds, LOL! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

BTW, I like the picture of the cat - almost feel the same way about Mondays!

Sheela said...

Aaahh! I'm totally fighting a losing battle here - CanNOT concentrate!!! It's going to be an early night for me!!

But yes Annie, I did have a lovely time with the girls...

A weed?! A nasturtium, my sweet, is also known as Indian cress. It has brightly coloured flowers (we have red, orange, yellow and variegated ones) which are edible, and contain Vit.C and iron. So there. A weed, indeed!

This morning, the most beautiful fox came to our garden while I was standing at the sliding doors, drinking my tea. By the time, I'd fetched my camera, he'd vanished. :( The cat photo is a cute subsitute!

Anonymous said...

:-) do you eat the flowers or the greens? When you said nasturtium, I thought, weeds- and I remembered dandelions (do you know that you can dry the flowers and make tea out of them) and there is another type of weed I heard someone said one can use for soup and salad - can't remember. Anyway, they are still weeds.

Sheela said...

heehee. just teasing. stinging nettles are weeds and they are edible - you do have to cook them first, but apparently they are very healthy, high in iron. brigitta conlan makes a soup with them.

i've just found out you can eat both the leaves and flowers of nasturtiums, but i use the petals in salads - very tasty and slightly peppery. a bit like rocket leaves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails