Friday, October 19, 2007

Hello from Tyrone!

Greetings from grey, drizzly Tyrone! After a 9 hour flight, I landed at Hartsfield-Jackson airport to face an intimidating immigrations officer. He took my fingerprints, and asked many questions, and just as I was beginning to feel thoroughly unwelcome, he let me go... :)

OM USA had sent someone to pick me up from the airport, for which I was extremely grateful. Roger, was both very kind and very determined to help me combat the effects of jet-lag. Although the trip from the airport to the OM site should only take 20 minutes, we took close to three hours as I got a tour of an American supermarket, Tyrone's main street and other places of interest en route! After a hot shower, I climbed gratefully into bed and slept soundly.

This morning, I've been working at the office here trying to help organise lifts and accommodation for the others who will be arriving for the AIDSLink meetings. There is WiFi where I'm staying, so please feel free to email me during this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! glad to hear you arrived there alright :)
are you back in SA then after these ten days? just wondering as I want to send you something (beginning of November :) ) and am not sure which address to use... the same SA address as before?

Anonymous said...

welcome, sheela! i look forward to hearing your thoughts about atlanta, and hope the aidslink meeting goes well. if you get a chance, you could visit the carter center (former president jimmy carter's international NGO for human rights, etc.) or the mlk center (the official museum in memory of martin luther king, jr. located on the street where he grew up, and you can tour his childhood home). i wish i could be with you in person :) -m.

Sheela said...

wish you both were here with me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails