It being Friday, I feel the urge to share my most recent forays into the glorious world of baked goods. It has been the most feeble summer (think grey, drizzly, chilly, etc.) that Britain has seen in a while. Also, my parents’ apple tree has been fruiting tremendously, and of course it is blackberry season.
Yes, my friends, all this can only mean a crumble. I know everybody has a crumble recipe, but burdening others with unsolicited information is my particular gift (see the post below if you are in any doubt), so here you go.
For the filling…
- 9 apples (I think I used 3 of the cooking variety, and the remainder were eating apples)
- 12 oz fresh blackberries
- a generous sprinkling of cinnamon
- 3 oz vegan butter
- 5 oz sugar
1) Peel, core and cut apples into small chunks (about 1/4inch thick).
2) Preheat oven to 200°C.
3) Heat butter in saucepan. Throw in apples, and sauté.
4) Add sugar and cinnamon, stirring occasionally until apples are just cooked.
5) Add blackberries, and leave on very low heat.
For the topping…
- 5 oz vegan butter
- 3 oz plain flour
- 5 oz rolled oats*
- 2 oz sugar
6) Lightly rub butter into flour, oats and sugar till crumbly.
7) Spoon fruit into an ovenproof dish, then top liberally with the crumble mixture. Stick into the oven until golden brown (about 15 minutes), and then serve. Instant comfort!


No comments:
Post a Comment