Friday, July 13, 2007

{cupcake friday} vegan chocolate orange cupcakes


Amazing, amazing. I'm bringing cupcakes back to Cupcake Friday - at last!

As you know, it is winter here in South Africa, and the only fruit we seem to have in abundance at present is the glorious orange. And so I present to you...

Vegan Chocolate Orange Cupcakes

1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
a few drops vanilla essence
9 tbsp sunflower oil
1 cups water
Juice of two juicy oranges

For the fudge:
1/4 cup soya butter
3 tbsp water
2 1/4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
zest of two oranges

1. Preheat the oven to 160°, and grease 12 muffin cups.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla, and gradually beat in the oil, juice and water to make a smooth batter. Pour the mixture into the muffin cups. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
3. For the fudge: melt the margarine with the water. Add the sugar and cocoa, beat till smooth and shiny. Add 2/3 of the zest, mixing well. Allow to cool until it becomes firm enough to spread.
4. Cut the cupcakes in half, and spread a spoonful of the fudge in between. Spread remaining fudge on top, and sprinkle remaining zest on top of the fudge. Yippee!

P.S. My camera is still unwell, and so I cannot present any photos. So instead I show someone else's so you get the gist of what mine would have looked like if I knew how to handle a piping bag...!

P.P.S. I took them to the office, and now they are no more...

1 comment:

Esther Damayanti Josiah said...

The cup cake looks lovely and I am going to try baking it this weekend. We are looking forward to your arrival. Wondered if we could catch up with you one Saturday when you are home Quite a few of my friends (Sheela, John and Mary) said that they would like an update. Maybe, I could cook some food and you can tell us about your experience.

Related Posts with Thumbnails