Thursday, February 15, 2007

Catching up... Week 2

Saturday, February 3
I'm picked up at 5:30am by Paul and Alejandra Watson. Ale (from Argentina) will also be doing the training workshop in Cape Town. We watch an incredible sunrise on the way to the airport. On the other side, we are met by Thea van Schoor, a lovely lady who works as a researcher in the University of Stellenbosch. She is currently researching HIV and TB in the Southern Africa area. We spend the rest of the weekend with her and her lovely family in Durbanville, one of the Northern suburbs famous for its vineyards.

Sunday, February 4
I attend my first Afrikaans church service (Thea's husband is the pastor of a thriving, dynamic, not to mention huge congregation). After a lovely roast dinner, Thea takes us to Simon’s Town for the CABSA (Christian AIDS Bureau of Southern Africa) training. Ale and I have been put in a hut with Haingo, a Madagasi doctor and Puleng, a health worker from Bloemfontein.

Monday to Friday, February 5 to 9

The view from my hut;
The trainers - Yolandi, Anna, Ian and Analeh

Rose wasan't exaggerating - the training is intensive! The days start at 7:20am with group devotions, followed by breakfast, then classes from 8:15 till 6pm. With shock we realise that we will be assessed from Tuesday onwards – on Tuesday and Wednesday we have facilitation assessments and on Thursday we have a 2 hour written exam. Gulp!

In my first facilitation session, I have to do a ten minute interactive presentation on the HI virus' effect on the body, which will be assessed by a trainer and five peers. Despite my anxiety, it goes well. The following day, my presentation on HIV transmission is also well received (And NO, I didn't play that transmission 'game'!!!) So far, so good. Then we get to the written exam. Did I mention that Simon's Town is by the sea? Did I mention that the gorgeous Boulders Beach is a few minutes walk from my hut? The night before the exam, I allow myself a piddly half an hour on the beach (my resolve is aided by the icy cold water) and then my hut-mates and I study late into the night.

Friday sees us anxiously forming a queue to meet with the trainers to get our results. To my immense shock and relief, I’m awarded awarded a ‘Level 3’ – the highest level available for this training. Hurrah!!! After a lovely closing service we part ways, promising one another to keep in touch. It is wonderful to meet all these dynamic people involved in different ways in the fight against HIV/AIDS, and I leave feeling challenged and inspired.

To be continued...
BTW - more photos will be uploaded on Flickr in the not to distant future...

1 comment:

Sheela said...

it was! i miss that beach!

wow - just noticed that i do use the word 'lovely' a lot!! this must be nipped in the bud! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails