Thursday, February 15, 2007

Catching up... Week 1

Hello lovely people! Thank you for your patience over this long silence. I just got back from Cape Town yesterday, so let me make amends and fill you in. Here's a summary of my first week in Pretoria...

Friday, January 26
After a long and cramped flight, I arrive at the O.R. Tambo Airport in Johannesburg, where Rose Hack picks me up. The heat is stifling! We drive to Pretoria, and my new home. I lodge in the home of Marti and Rene Russouw who instantly make me feel at home.
my home

Saturday, January 27
A restful day. After a late start, I get a call Rose inviting me for a walk around the Botanical Gardens which are twenty minutes away. This really is such a beautiful country.

Sunday, January 28
Still trying to adjust to the heat. After attending an early church service at Eastside Community Church with Rose, I spend the rest of the day getting to know Rene and Marti.

Monday, January 29
Office hours start at 8am here! This will take some getting used to! Rene and I head over to the OM SA office for their morning devotions and team meeting. Rose picks me up and we then go over to the OM Southern Africa area office (where I'll be based), where we spent the rest of the day getting me set up (read: battling with temperamental technology).

Tuesday, January 30
Another day at the office, trying to get my head around my new role.

Wednesday, January 31
Today, I work from home. I hope to work from home one day a week, just because it helps with the tiredness. Unsurprisingly, I'm able to get much more done today than the previous two days in the office. Snoopy and Joss keep me company.
Thursday, February 1
Back at the office! Nothing to declare. Oh wait- I do get horribly lost in the evening after having dinner with Rose and her husband, Mike. Will I ever find my way around this place? My sense of direction is atrocious, and in the dark... hmm, well the less said about that the better... Fortunately, I'm saved by my cell phone: a panic-stricken call to Rene soon gets me home...

Friday, February 2
I spend the day preparing for the training in Cape Town. Rose warns that it is very intensive, but other than that, she stays ominously vague about the course. As part of the requirements of the course, I am asked to visit an HIV/AIDS facility, and then write up a report about it to give in when I get to Cape Town. I write about the Cyril Ross Nursery in Trinidad, as my visit there really confirmed to me my desire to get involved in the battle against HIV/AIDs.

Week 2 to follow...

2 comments:

SouthAfrica said...

Nice blog. Cramped flight - perhaps a Mango flight?

Sheela said...

Nope - British Airways! I almost took Mang to Cape Town, but ended up with Kalula - love that airlines! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails