Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mum's 60th

party3

We had a traumatic week last week. My dad was sent home a day after surgery, but a few days later, he started bleeding internally. It showed no sign of stopping, so we rushed him to hospital. It was scary. At one point it looked like we might lose him.

party2

In time, thanks to the prayers of friends all over the globe, the bleeding stopped. When it looked like Dad was out of danger, I resumed my plans for a surprise party to celebrate my mum's 60th.

orderlyqueue

I invited a group of 30 ladies, some of her closest friends in the UK. Panicking at the thought of catering for something of this magnitude, I cheekily asked each to bring a dish. It was self-preservation. And it turned out to be a very good move. These ladies are tremendous cooks.

floral display

I decorated the room minimally, and then my lovely friend Mathilda brought some of her stunning floral arrangements.

group1

As Dad still isn't permitted to walk around, dear family friend came to tend to his needs. We told my mother that he just happened to be in the neighbourhood... Then I told her that the office warden's family had invited the two of us to dinner. I told a lot of lies in those 24 hours. Confession is good for the soul.

party7

Anyways, back to my tale. Mum was led down to the candle-lit dining room, and was thoroughly shocked to see her friends assembled. It was quite gratifying. :)

party6

Ladies who love her and who've stood with her through life's highs and lows. Ladies who pray for and whom she's prayed for and mentored. I hope I'm this rich in relationships by the time I'm 60.

because I'm mean

We ate. We ate a lot. The food was spectacular. Then we had a little programme MCed by yours truly. We had a time of worship, not the norm at a birthday party but we needed to give glory to God for 60 years of well-lived life (not to mention Dad's turn-around in health). The singing was just beautiful - we sounded like a choir.

group3

Then, ladies got up to bless and encourage my mum. Stories were told, memories revisited. Lots of laughter, some tears...

party5

Then of course, there was cake. This cake. Really there are no words. It was that good. The End and Amen.

cake

A few more photos here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails