Friday, December 10, 2010

{the reading group} Pursuit: Week 9

joshcrop

Oh dear! It's all a bit much at the moment, and I completely forgot to post this yesterday. Technically, we're coming to the end of this book soon, though I guess we all have plenty of catching up to do.

By the way, I've been wondering... Is there anyone who is still blessed by the reading group? I've been weighing up whether to carry this project over into 2011. Granted, it probably wasn't the best idea to have such a heavy book (though it certainly is a good and challenging one) at the end of the year. Anyways, let me know your thoughts.

So this week's chapter is Meekness and Rest. As you read, you may want to consider the following:

1. According to Tozer, what springs directly from our sins?
2. What are the causes of our burden?
3. What are the characteristics of a meek person?
4. What is God saying to me through this chapter?


* Catch up on the conversation so far here.
* Haven't got a copy of the book? Free etext here.

3 comments:

Gladys said...

Yes,I am behind in reading... but pressing on! This book has touched me and it is as if the concepts, lessons am learning are accompanying me everywhere. At the same time other incidents seemed to reinforse the things the Holy Spirit has been opening my eyes to. Last week watched the movie of Mother Teresa's life. And her constant going to Jesus to listen to his voice impacted me. She only was concerned with what Jesus had to say. She was saying I feel he is taking me by the hand and telling me what to do.
And this evening finished reading The Shack,even though a fiction many lessons to be learned to, as with Tozer, presents a God of love, who wants a relationship with us. But will no force it, he waits gently for us to respond.So now will continue with the Pursuit of God... it's time to speed up!!

Sheela said...

Great to hear this, Gladys. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I too need to speed up my reading. xx

Sheela said...

This chapter for me was like when a window is suddenly opened, making you realise how stuffy the room is. More than just a breath of fresh air, it's an awakening to how unhealthy your surroundings are. These burdens of pride, pretence and artificialty have so long been a part of me that I can barely imagine a life without them. Yet this is what Jesus offers - release from this exhausting, toxic load.

I love Tozer's interpretation of 'meekness' - one who beholds himself with 'a kindly sense of humour'. More importantly, one who has 'stopped being fooled about himself', accepting God's estimate of his life. In himeself, nothing; in God, everything. This is the challenge of the chapter to me - an ongoing rethinking of my self-evaluation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails