
Happy Thanksgiving! Even if you aren't in the US, or don't celebrate this holiday, I know there is so, so much to be thankful for!
I was reflecting last night on some of the ordinary moments I've experienced in the last few years that have proved to be significant incidents incognito, the Hand of God gently nudging me in a fresh direction. I'm so grateful for that!
Lovelies, I know this is a tough book, and I know life is crammed with so many other priorities - I've fallen behind with this study too. But I really want to encourage all of us to hang in there. God is calling us closer to his heart through the challenges of The Pursuit of God. If we seek Him, we'll discover He isn't far away (Acts 17:27).
This week's chapter is The Gaze of the Soul. As you read, you may want to reflect on the following:
1. What does Tozer mean when he says faith is defined functionally not philosophically?
2. How does the development of individual faith help the Body of Christ?
3. What is God saying to me through this chapter?
* Catch up on the conversation so far here.
* Haven't got a copy of the book? Free etext here.


2 comments:
I enjoyed very much this chapter, If I would have to rename it, it would be "the simplicity of faith".
While most of us Christians spend most of our lives wondering and questioning if we have enough or any faith at all, here gives us good practical advice. And as all we have been learning about the Persuit of God, it always starts with God at the centre of it, of our lives, and minds and hearts!
My favourite underlined sentences/concepts:
-1) While we are looking at God we do not see ourselves.
-2) Faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God.
-3) Since believing is looking, it can be done without special equipment!
-4) Since believing is looking it can be done any time!
-5) Neither does place matter in this blessed work of believing God. It can be done anywhere
-6)Inward habit of beholding God.
-7) When the eyes of the soul looking out meet the eyes of God looking in, heaven has begun right here on this earth. (!!!!!!!!!)AMEN
Gladys, 'The Simplicity of Faith' sums this chapter up perfectly! I think I overcomplicate things, expecting the pursuit of God to be a difficult, uncomfortable thing and so avoid it, but here we see that this thing I overcomplicate is nothing more complicated than looking. Looking with the heart. It's just amazing. And delightful. As Tozer says, how 'like God to make the most vital thing easy and place it within the range of possibility for the weakest and poorest of us'!
More than that, God looks at the heart, and when He sees us choosing to behold Him, He makes allowances for 'the thousand distractions which beset us in this evil world'. Reminds me of something Beth Moore said in So Long, Insecurity about how God gets how difficult it is to be us. Not so much excuses bad behaviour, but He truly understands what we are up against. And He comes alongside us. Again, amazing!
I can't believe I was dragging my feet to read this chapter. Such an encouragement.
Post a Comment