Wednesday, October 06, 2010

{the reading group} Pursuit: Before We Begin

cross

A few nights ago, I was feeling a little restless and couldn't focus on my 'serious' reading, so I picked up my copy of CS Lewis' The Last Battle. I've lost count of how many times I've read the Narnia series since my mother read them to me as a tiny child, but each time I get some fresh understanding. Lewis has the ability to encapsulate timeless truths in a way a child can understand. Though Aslan is merely an image of Christ, there aren't even words to describe the way my hard heart is captivated every time I encounter him on the pages.

In the final chapters of The Last Battle Aslan leads all his creatures through a door, the old Narnia dies, and they enter a world which is more real, more beautiful version of Narnia -almost like Narnia was merely a faded copy of this new land, which they call Aslan's country. In Lewis' words 'The new one was a deeper country: every rock and flower and blade of grass looked as if it meant more. I can't describe it any better than that: if ever you get there you will know what I mean'.

Aslan urges them to press on “higher up and further in” into this glorious land, and bounds ahead. I guess that's the image I have in mind as we launch into The Pursuit of God. I'm filled with anticipation. I know the God we are pursuing is worth the pursuit, and our destination is worth the journey!

On to the practicalities...
As before, we'll read a chapter a week for the next ten weeks. Each Thursday starting from the 14th of October, I'll set up a blog post titled '{the reading group} Pursuit:' and the appropriate week number. You can respond with your reflections in the comments section anytime convenient before the next Thursday. As always, I do hope you'll participate, but there is absolutely no pressure.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to get in touch with me. If you haven't got a copy of the book, there are free e-texts online.

By the way, see that icon on the sidebar that says 'The Pursuit of God: The Reading Group' on it? Click on it, and it will take you to a menu of related posts. See you on the 14th of October. Let's go higher up and further in!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails