Tuesday, June 01, 2010

{the reading group} the next challenge...

good enough

I hope I speak for all of us who have read through Lost Women - it has been so empowering to learn that we are ezers. As Keshy observed ‘a woman’s significance and worth stem not from any role she may fulfill, but from the unchangeable fact that she is made in the image of God … She is ‘vice regent’, and this shapes and blesses her relationships, rather than her relationships (marriage or otherwise) defining her’. Amazing!

But then we hit a brick wall. How do we live out these truths in a culture that constantly makes us feel inadequate? We have wholeness in Christ - no one is disputing that, but how do we appropriate it?

Rewind to February when Beth Moore was hosting an online discussion group on her new book So Long, Insecurity. I’ve done several of her in-depth Bible studies, and have been blessed by them. I really wanted to join in with the online discussion at that time, but was up to my neck in so many other things. Now, however, I’m in the right place to make that journey and I’d love for you to join me. I think it makes a perfect sequel to ‘Lost Women’.

Not sure if this is for you? Take a moment to watch this
“The goal is for an insecure woman to open the book and a secure woman to close it. Nothing less than that. Humanly speaking, fat chance. But, if somewhere in these pages, we hear God speaking instead? Ah, then, for those willing to believe what He says, fat chances lose their weight and real changes takes their place. We’re not just looking to read a book here, Sisters. We’re looking to discover the kind of soul-deep security that stands fast in the floodwaters of this image-saturated society. It is time for a change”.

- Beth Moore (via the Living Proof Ministries blog)
Convinced yet? Grab a copy of the book, and meet me back here on Thursday the 1st of July. I’ll be going through the questions Beth has posted on her blog, because I think they’ll be really useful in engaging with the text. As with Lost Women, I want this to be a blessing to you and not a burden, so there is absolutely no pressure to participate. Show up when you can, share what you can. This one is potentially a lot more reflective than Lost Women, and I don’t know about you but I’m looking forward to a breakthrough in my life.

Once you’ve got your copy of So Long, Insecurity, Beth suggests… “Write a journal-type entry on the inside cover of your book describing this present season of your life and why you’ve chosen to read a book like this. If you already have a relationship with God, write it in the form of a prayer... Listen, Sister, if you expect little, that’s probably what you’ll get. But if you expect something big from God when you start a journey and you posture yourself to receive from Him, even when frail human beings are thrown in the mix, you’ll end up with something huge. Something life altering”.

See you back here on the 1st of July?

10 comments:

rach said...

woohoo! its midnight and for some reason, i feel real pumped up for this (: hope to find the book in time, or realise that the book cannot be found here in time.

if the book can be found here, it is okay if i introduce it to some of my girlfriends?

*BEAR HUG BACK*
-r

Sheela said...

Squeeee! Glad you're pumped!

a) Oh, yes! By all means, introduce it to your girlfriends. Love the idea of a whole gang of us waging war on insecurity!

b) OK, so I'm an insane enabler, but Beth Moore's books come out on Tyndale & Lifeway, so I snooped distributors... Exhibit A. Hope that helps. If for whatever reason you can't track the book down, lemme know and I'll see what I can do...

rach said...

ooh. impressive! thanks heaps. will ring up those places to check (:
xxr

Sheela said...

Friends in the UK who want to take part, try Eden.co.uk for the book - seems to be the cheapest option, and delivery is free...

http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/so-long-insecurity-2623589.html

lindley said...

Hi Sheela, I'm Rachel's friend :) I've been looking for this book but I can't seem to find it in Canaanland/Salvation, or anywhere else. :( Any ideas on what I can do? Borders US has it, but its 25USD which I can't afford lol. :(

I'd really love to take part in the discussions that you post up weekly :D

Sheela said...

Hey Lindley! So excited that you want to join in. OK, so I've madly Googled, but can't seem to locate a copy of SLI (in any online bookshops) in Malaysia! Have located a store in S'pore that has it, but at S$36 (not including postage)it seems ridiculous.

My other thought was that I could buy a copy for you from here in the UK, and post it over but it took about 2 weeks for Rachel's copy to get to her by which time we'll be halfway thru the study. Let me know if you want to go down this route.

My suggestion though is that you get the audio-book from Christianaudio.com. I realise it isn't the ideal solution - you won't have a book to hold in your hands, but you will have it immediately for download and it is the cheapest option that I know of.
http://christianaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=2820

Hope this helps! Love, Sheela

lindley said...

Yay! That sounds great, I could catch up, how much is it btw?

Sheela said...

Great, Lindley. Looking forward to having you join in. The audiobook is US$13.98.

By the way everyone/anyone, this month's freebie at christianaudio.com is Tozer's classic 'The Pursuit of God'.

lindley said...

how much is the book itself if you were to buy it in UK and post it over? :)

Sheela said...

Including postage, GB£12.98 (approx. US$19.50) from Amazon, which has the cheapest option at the moment - it's a lot of money! :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails