
Woman of Philippi (Illustration by Joel Spector, 2005)
Chapter 10 – Recovering the Blessed Alliance: Paul & the Women of Philippi
The apostle Paul is often viewed as having negative views of women. But his relationship with the women of Philippi strongly contradicts that impression. We will see through Paul’s close relationship with these first female converts in Europe how much our brothers need us and the vital part we play in advancing Christ’s kingdom.
Read: Philippians 1:1-11, 27-30
1. Does ‘two is better than one’ describe your experience of working with men in marriage, the workplace, or in the church? Why or why not?
2. What has happened to the Blessed Alliance since the Fall? Why is this alliance so important?
3. The Gospel of Jesus Christ not only changes us, it also changes our relationships, including relationships between men and women. How do we see that illustrated through Paul and his relationships with the women of Philippi? How was Paul a changed man?
Conclusion: Lost & Found
The lost women of the Bible were never lost to God. We will reflect on what we have learned from their stories about God and about God’s call on their live as image bearers, ezers, and members of the Blessed Alliance.
1. What have you learned from the lost women of the Bible that changes how you see yourself?
2. How have you been helped because of their deep struggles with God? How has your vision expanded of yourself and of your mission as a kingdom builder?
3. What does it mean for you to be God’s image bearer today? What a re the relationships where this calling is a challenge for you?
4. From what we have observed in the lives of these women, why is knowing God central to our callings as women and to our relationships with others?
Can't remember how to take part? Here's a reminder.
Catch up on the conversation so far here.
* * * * *
Yay! We did it! Thank you for joining in this journey. I hope there was something that blessed you over these past ten weeks.Guess what? I've got another book I'd like to read together with you. Don't worry - the next one doesn't start till July 1st. Interested? Check back here on Tuesday (June 1st) for more information. Eeek, I can hardly contain myself... I've taken a peek at the book and it looks like a good 'un. Restraining myself till July 1st will be tough. Do you see the things I do for you...? :)


1 comment:
An interesting chapter, defending Paul's reputation, as well as the importance of the blessed alliance.
Overall, I think it is a good book. I feel like the key elements that everyone needs to get are in the first chapter, and subsequent chapters are case studies to support the ideas outlined in 'Eve'. That said, I've really been blessed by the closer look into the lives of these 'lost' women, particularly Hagar, Mary Magdalene and Hannah - God sees us, He pursues us even when we are running full tilt away from Him, and His silence is not an accurate way to measure what He is doing!
Post a Comment