Three short books I've read recently...
Brother of the More Famous Jack by Barbara Trapido
I read this book in one evening from start to finish. It's a funny, strange and wonderful exploration of growing up and finding a sense of identity and belonging. The characters are larger-than-life and very loveable. I must admit I got a little bored about 4/5ths of the way through, but that aside, a terrific read.
Holes by Louis Sachar
Poor Stanlet Yelnats is hounded by bad luck. When convicted of a crime he did not commit, he is sent to a juvenile detention centre where he is forced to dig holes all day long. Apparently it is character-building. Holes is delightful. It's short, funny, thought-provoking, and has an original, clever plot. Loved it.
Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra
The nightmare of Taliban-era Kabul leaps off the pages of this short, intense novel. Not an enjoyable read but a moving one, as we follow the bleak, painful lives of Atiq and Musarrat Shaukat, and Mohsen and Zunaira Ramat.
Brother of the More Famous Jack by Barbara TrapidoI read this book in one evening from start to finish. It's a funny, strange and wonderful exploration of growing up and finding a sense of identity and belonging. The characters are larger-than-life and very loveable. I must admit I got a little bored about 4/5ths of the way through, but that aside, a terrific read.
Holes by Louis SacharPoor Stanlet Yelnats is hounded by bad luck. When convicted of a crime he did not commit, he is sent to a juvenile detention centre where he is forced to dig holes all day long. Apparently it is character-building. Holes is delightful. It's short, funny, thought-provoking, and has an original, clever plot. Loved it.
Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina KhadraThe nightmare of Taliban-era Kabul leaps off the pages of this short, intense novel. Not an enjoyable read but a moving one, as we follow the bleak, painful lives of Atiq and Musarrat Shaukat, and Mohsen and Zunaira Ramat.


No comments:
Post a Comment