Greetings from South Africa, friends! I arrived exhausted yesterday afternoon after the long journey.
I know several were praying for my foot, and I'm pleased to announce that I didn't have difficulties walking so praise the Lord! For those of you wondering what on earth I'm talking about - recently I've been having intense cramping in my left foot, making it difficult to walk. I did go to the doctor, and have been taking medication to relax the muscles - so far, so good.
So anyways, after an early night, I got up to go to the office. I'm staying in the Hack's home while they are on home assignment, and driving Mike's car. Perhaps unrelated but - prior to reaching the office, I went to fill the tank with petrol. At the petrol station, I noticed the attendant really checking out the car (It's not a flashy car - it's old and quirky, but it's one of those funky Toyota's and has an incredible engine, etc). At the time, I was surprised, but didn't think anything more of it.
I spent just over an hour at the office, when Francois Vosloo, the Area Director, asked me how I had come to work today, as he didn't see a car outside. My stomach sank, as we ran outside. Sure enough, it was gone. Karin, Francois wife, kindly to me to the police station where we reported the theft. Our statement was taken by a very tired, disinterested young policeman, who interspersed his questions with yawns, while bobbing his head to the RnB music playing in the background. Karin and I looked at each other in consternation. Mostly, I was just dreading telling Mike and Rose that their car is gone! Two senior officers came by, and our policeman snapped back into life. The two officers listened to our account, gave the policeman a few instructions in Afrikaans, and turned to leave. As he was leaving, one turned back and said to me, 'Welcome to Africa!'
Please pray! I know God can convict the heart of the thief. Pray for the Hacks. I've not been able to get through to them on the phone yet, so I've sent them an email. Pray that the police will be successful in tracking the car down - hopefully in one piece! I'm grateful the theft took place when I was not in the car - I've heard many stories since I've been hear of others who have not been so fortunate. I'm a little shaken, not to mention house-bound. I had hoped to go grocery shopping after my time in the office, so my cupboards are bare! (I hope my mother is not reading this - if you are, Mum, don't worry!) Anyways, thought I'd share this with you... :)
I don't want to end this post on such negative note, so let me tell you that Pretoria is abloom with beautiful jacaranda at the moment. My drive to work was so soul-soothing, as the streets are lined with these extravagantly lilac trees. Pretoria is nicknamed 'Jacaranda City', after all. If I could have safely whipped my camera out of my bag and taken a picture, I would have. Instead, I found a lovely photo on Flickr.
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I should add that most of the streets are not lined in this way! Just in a certain part of Pretoria, nearer the centre of town... :)
I am sorry to hear of your most unfortunate misadventure. But am thankful that you are safe.
Take care and do not fret for God is in control.
Wow! the trees are beautiful! :)
how lovely that you can end on a happy note :) ... but I know the missing car can be worrying.
praying for you...
Post a Comment