Friday, June 15, 2007

{beauty}

The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located
will betray us if we trust to them;
it was not in them, it only came through them,
and what came through them was longing.

These things ... are good images of what we really desire;
but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols,
breaking the hearts of their worshippers.

For they are not the thing itself;
they are only the scent of a flower we have not found,
the echo of a tune we have not heard,
news from a country we have never yet visited.

- CS Lewis, The Weight of Glory
(The whole article, originally preached as a sermon in the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Oxford, on June 8, 1942: published in THEOLOGY, November, 1941, and by the S.P.C.K, 1942, can be found here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what work is this quote taken from? I'd like to read more :) ... some very good thoughts there.
Btw, the brownies look yummy! I'll have to try those... good job with keeping "cupcake friday" going :) (Confession: I've been lazy on that front)

joe said...

hey sheela, hope its doing good!
I just saw your tag my blog, use any pictures you like if their for your blog. If otherwise you can just drop me a mail or leave a tag if you grab them! :)

Anonymous said...

Li'l Sis,thanks for the C.S. Lewis link.
Thinking of you - Praying too.
Big Hugs!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails