Monday, January 01, 2007

{Sheela's News} Jan 2007

Dear Friends,

I hope you’ve had a wonderful Christmas! Thank you once again for your love, friendship, prayers and encouragement through 2006. It has meant a lot to me.

AIDSLink in the Caribbean...
In September, I was able to join Rose Hack, the coordinator of AIDSLink, on a trip to Trinidad and Tobago, beautiful tropical islands where the ‘carnival’ mentality has fuelled the spread of HIV/AIDS.

Based on the OM ship, Logos II, we had an amazing two weeks, which included HIV/AIDS workshops in Trinidad, as well as in Tobago, and several opportunities to share amongst the staff and crew of the Logos II. It was wonderful to see many letting go of their prejudices, especially in our workshop in Trinidad. What helped make it so powerful was that a group of people living with HIV came to share their experiences, bringing a human face to the statistics.

It was an eye-opening experience, and I was surprised to find that I enjoyed pitching in with the training. It became my responsibility to lead the groups through a brief ‘game’ to illustrate the rapid spread of HIV. I was able to demonstrate the ‘Transmission Game’ at a missions evening in my church when I returned.

Another highlight was a visit to the Cyril Ross Centre, a home for children living with HIV. Ginny, the manager of the book fair onboard the Logos II, permitted Rose and I to put together a large selection of children’s books, which was then sent over to the home as a donation for the kids.
Clockwise: a) The pharmacist dispensing medication for the children at the Cyril Ross Home. b) The Transmission Game in the Trinidad workshop. Hopefully I’ll be able to expand my repertoire after the training in Cape Town. :) c) The group that attended our seminars in Trinidad. What a mixed bunch – students, health workers, pastors, youth workers, etc. d) A cup of pills for one child at the Cyril Ross Home. Thankfully, anti-retroviral drugs are free in Trinidad & Tobago.


The Plan...
My health continues to be a source of frustration. Because of this, we’ve agreed that it is best for me to join AIDSLink for 6 months first, and then extend for the full two years if all goes well.

I leave for Pretoria on the 25th of January. I’ll spend just over a week there before flying to Cape Town for a training week. While in Cape Town, I’ll also get a chance to spend a few days with a friend from college who is involved with a local HIV/AIDS ministry there. I return to Pretoria on the 14th of February.

There, I will work alongside Rose Hack in the ministry of AIDSLink. I’m scheduled to represent AIDSLink at OM’s Teen Street in Germany in July, so I’ll return to the UK on the 18th of July, before heading over to Teen Street later in the month.

Please Pray...
1) That I will be a blessing as I serve with AIDSLink.
2) For good health and energy, as well as emotional and spiritual growth.
3) For good relationships with those I will live and work with.

Challenges and Blessings...
Support-raising has been one of the more challenging aspects of the past few months. Nevertheless, it has been a constant reminder of how faithful God is. I’ve been amazed by the generosity of different friends, many of whom are in complex, difficult situations themselves.

In November, the Josiah family, who are dear friends, organised a fantastic fundraising dinner serving a delicious Indian meal. This was followed by a raffle (my mum’s apple chutney was amongst the prizes!), and then I did a brief presentation, which did indeed include the now infamous ‘transmission game’. :) On that night, we raised enough money to cover the cost of my flight to South Africa, as well as some towards the cost of the training week in Cape Town. Thank you to everyone who came and gave so generously that evening!

Just this week I heard the wonderful news that the foreign missions board of my church in Singapore has agreed to send a large one-time gift towards my support, despite their over-stretched budget. They’ve been faithfully supporting my family for many years. What a blessing!

If you would like to contribute to my support, either with a one-time gift or with more regular donations, please mark gifts with ‘Sheela Thomas – AIDSLink’, and send to your nearest OM office.

Another huge blessing is the fact that so many of you are praying for me. I cannot express how extremely grateful I am for your prayers and concern. I also really appreciate your emails, notes and cards. In the 17 months that I’ve been typing for George Verwer, I’ve come to see what a ministry of encouragement letter writing is, especially when mixed with prayer! This is something I long to be more faithful in.

On the subject of working for George, the ministry of Special Projects is looking for a full-time typist. Please pray that someone can be found to take this role.

Thank you to those of you who prayed that I’d find a good church. I’ve really enjoyed being part of Cornerstone Christian Centre, and I’ll miss it when I go! I’ve appreciated CCC’s focus on being ‘carers and declarers’, blending social action with the proclamation of the Gospel.

Thank you to Dave and Judy Stump for making prayer cards for me, which I’m enclosing with the hard copy version of my newsletter. If you receive the email version and would like a prayer card, please let me know.

Family News...
Recently, we got quite a scare as my grandmother in Singapore was admitted to hospital. We would really appreciate prayer for her, as she is still weak. In her eighties, she is very independent and prefers to live in her own home by herself, but this is becoming increasingly unfeasible. Please pray for a long-term solution! My mother will be returning to help her temporarily.

In the autumn, my father’s book ‘Ten Lions’ was published. Please pray for him, as he’ll be spending 6 weeks on a mission trip to India and Nepal.


For I, the Lord your God,
hold your right hand;

it is I who say to you,
“Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”


Isaiah 41:3




Thank you for your love and friendship. Be blessed in 2007!

Love and hugs,
Sheela

3 comments:

Sheela said...

thank you, tara!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheela, thank you for your consistent personal news service :) Your letters are always much-appreciated. I pray that you will be blessed with good health, happy friendships, safe travels, and a peaceful and joyful new year.

Sheela said...

hello sweet friend! thank you for your prayers. thank you also for the beautiful necklace!! love, s

Related Posts with Thumbnails