Tuesday, November 28, 2006

broken things...

'Golden Spirals' by fd

'Broken things have been on my mind as the year lurches to an end, because so much broke and broke down this year in my life, and in the lives of the people I love. Lives broke, hearts broke, health broke, minds broke. On the first Sunday of Advent our preacher, Veronica, said that this is life's nature, that lives and hearts get broken, those of people we love, those of people we'll never meet. She said the world sometimes feels like the waiting room of the emergency ward, and that we, who are more or less OK for now, need to take the tenderest possible care of the more wounded people in the waiting room, until the healer comes. You sit with people, she said, you bring them juice and graham crackers. And then she went on vacation'.

- Anne Lamott, from Travelling Mercies

2 comments:

Mike Blyth said...

Interesting quote and nice photo. I've heard of the book but this makes me want to read it. The last sentence is something to ponder, as a missionary or "helper" ... we need time to withdraw, but I'm often resentful when others "leave for vacation" and I'm stuck holding the fort.

Sheela said...

Hi Mike.

I debated whether to include that last sentence, but finally settled on including it because it is such a fitting end - we do what we can to help, and we balance it with rest. Easier said than done!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails