Several months ago, I became aware of a new ministry within OM – AIDSLink. I’ve been overwhelmed by the statistics related to the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
* HIV/AIDS has infected more than 42 million people worldwide.
* By the end of this decade it will have reached 87 million and have affected the lives of many more.
* Predictions suggest that there will be over 40 million orphans in Africa alone by 2030.
* Six thousand 15 to 24 year olds become HIV positive every day.
* Anti-retroviral treatment is vital in fighting against AIDS, but less than 15% of people who need this treatment have access to it.
Statistics from the World Health Organization
Wanting to see how I could get involved. I got in touch with Rosemary Hack, the co-ordinator of the work, and she challenged me to join the ministry. I had mixed feelings at first. I didn’t want to just ‘drift’ into OM because it was the easy option. I wanted to be sure that this was from God. At the same time, the possibilities and opportunities that this opened up are incredible. As Rosemary observed, ‘OM, with ministries in over 100 countries, is in a unique position to do something about this pandemic’. After much thought, prayer, and a visit from Rosemary, I agreed to join AIDSLink for two years!!!
When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was a bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened
or full of argument.
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
-Mary Oliver (from When Death Comes)
What is AIDSLink?
OM AIDSLink exists to…
a) Be an advocate and consultant for HIV/AIDS ministries within OM International.
b) Be proactive in promoting awareness, training and involvement.
c) Network and engage with those already involved in HIV/AIDS ministries within and outside of OM.
What would I be doing?
Well, I think ‘Girl Friday’ will be my official job description! As the ministry is so new, the role is in still evolving. However, some of the more ‘structured’ things that I will be doing are:
* Mobilising prayer – compiling and sending out a bi-monthly AIDS prayer update.
* Getting involved in local HIV/AIDS ministries for hands-on experience (my training in counselling will be especially useful here).
* Helping to develop resources - looking into translation and publishing of literature, etc.
* Arranging logistics of training events, and possibly becoming one of the trainers. This would involve travelling.
Where would this take place?
OM AIDSLink is based in Pretoria, South Africa, so that is where I’ll be based over the next two years, although the job does require a fair amount of travelling. I hope to officially join AIDSLink in September of this year.
Without your prayer and support, none of this will be possible. For more information on partnering with me, please contact me.


No comments:
Post a Comment